Self-generation of energy resources is an effective tool to reduce energy costs of industrial enterprises
To increase competitiveness and stability in the market, enterprises need to constantly improve their technological processes and find solutions to reduce the cost of their products. One of the main cost items of industrial enterprises is the cost of consumed energy resources, which, depending on the type of products manufactured, can amount to 10 - 70% of their cost.
Own production of electricity and heat with the help of mini - CHP is a proven tool for achieving the above goals in the EU countries.
How it works?
The technological processes of most industrial enterprises in different sectors of the economy are characterized by the simultaneous consumption of electric and thermal energy. As a rule, electricity is supplied by external power grids, while heat is produced by our own boiler houses using natural gas. To significantly reduce energy consumption costs and, accordingly, reduce production costs, an alternative, more efficient energy supply technology is needed.
The highest efficiency in the production of energy resources is currently demonstrated by gas-piston cogeneration units. For example, for modern plants manufactured by JENBACHER, the electrical efficiency is up to 48.7%, and taking into account heat extraction, the overall efficiency reaches 90%. This allows to significantly reduce the share of energy costs in the cost of electricity and heat produced.
Additional opportunities are opened by the conversion of thermal energy from cogeneration into cold, which is necessary for individual technological processes. Active use of cold in technological processes and for storing finished products is typical for many food industry enterprises.
The simultaneous production of heat, electricity and cold is called trigeneration. The production of water cooled to a temperature of 5-10 degrees is carried out using absorption chillers (ABHM). If it is necessary to achieve lower temperatures, chillers are used in conjunction with compression refrigeration machines (KXM), providing pre-cooling and thereby reducing the energy consumption of the latter.
Thermal energy is used by industrial plants in the form of steam or hot water. Jenbacher cogenerators are capable of producing both of these heat transfer fluids together or separately.
The use of trigeneration complexes as part of their own mini-CHPP allows enterprises to significantly reduce energy costs, reduce the cost of products and become independent from external power grids.
Benefits and features
- Receiving cheap electrical and heat energy for the needs of the enterprise. The cost price of energy of its own mini-CHP is lower than the tariffs by 40 - 60%, which allows the station to pay off in a period of 2 to 4 years, depending on the parameters and operating conditions.
- High efficiency. The total fuel utilization rate in installations reaches 90%. Generate electricity with an efficiency of 48%, and together with heat up to 90%
- Energy independence and energy efficiency. Complete independence from regional power grids, and, consequently, from tariff increases. No costs for the construction of supply and distribution networks. The CHP is being built close to the facilities. Low investment costs, power regulation capability.
- Reliability and ease of use. On-site repair of the unit, low operating costs and small dimensions, i.e. low investment costs, the possibility of clustering (parallel operation of several units).
- Manufacturability and innovation . Patented unique combustion control system. The LEANOX control system with bypass on the turbocharger helps to ensure the correct air-gas ratio to reduce exhaust emissions while maintaining engine stability.
- Work at peak loads . Full power is reached in 10 minutes.
- Ergonomics and mobility . Possibility of execution in an all-weather, noise-insulating modular type casing for placement on the territory or an open version for installation in a building, for example, an existing boiler room.
Cost-effectiveness of an independent power supply system
The economic efficiency of using our own mini-CHP plant based on Jenbacher gas-piston cogenerators is clearly demonstrated in the example below.
The cost of energy resources from the network:
- The cost of electricity from the network ~ 3 UAH per 1 kW * h
- The cost of natural gas is ~ 5000 UAH per 1000 cubic meters. m
The volume of own production of energy resources from 1000 cubic meters . natural gas :
- Electricity - 4000 kWh
- Heat energy - 3.4 Gcal
Estimated indicators for self-generation from 1000 cubic meters. natural gas:
- The amount of electricity produced - UAH 12,000
- Thermal energy - 781 UAH per Gcal (the cost of which when burning natural gas in its own boiler house with an efficiency of 90%)
Saving of the enterprise per 1000 cubic meters of natural gas:
12000 + 2655 - 5000 = 9655 UAH.
The payback of the project for the transition to its own power supply with the help of Jenbacher co-generators will be, depending on the amount of energy consumption of the enterprise, from 1.5 to 2 years.
A team of specialists from KTS Engineering is ready to provide a feasibility study for a cost reduction program for enterprises with an energy consumption of 300 kW and above.
Own generation is the best investment in enterprise development!
KTS Engineering is your reliable partner in solving energy problems!