Shunting peak powers.
Power system balancing with Jenbacher gas engines.
Shunting capacities based on Jenbacher gas piston generators effectively ensure the stability of the power system due to the ability to rapidly change the amount of generated electricity in a wide range of permissible loads.
The energy consumption of each country is characterized by extreme unevenness and depends on many factors - the time of the week and day, weather conditions and the work schedule of enterprises, emergency situations, etc. Stable operation of the power system requires full correspondence between the volumes of generated and consumed electricity. To solve this problem, shunting power is used - power plants that can quickly respond to a changing situation.
How it works?
In connection with the rapid increase in the volume of uneven generation of solar and wind power plants, which has been observed in recent years in Ukraine, the problem of lack of maneuverable capacities has sharply emerged, forcing the Power System Operator to shut down individual SPPs and WPPs and even individual units of nuclear power plants.
Until now, the balancing of the domestic energy system is carried out with the help of coal and hydroelectric power plants, the capacity of which in certain periods of time is insufficient for its stable functioning.
The most effective solution to this problem is the use of JENBACHER gas-fired power plants, which have a minimum carbon footprint and the most optimal technical characteristics for balancing the power system.
A gas power plant based on JENBACHER engines, operating on the basis of modern innovative technologies, is able to supply full power to the local power grid in the shortest time (up to 3 minutes!). This allows the power plant to respond flexibly to changes in the power system at any time and thus compensate for the uneven production of electricity from sources such as wind and solar power.
A Jenbacher gas-fired power plant emits 70% less CO2 than a coal-fired power plant.
The maneuverability of the Jenbacher engine using the example of the J920 FleXtra engine :
- Full power - 9.4 MW
- Full power output - 3 min
- Power reset by 100% - 1 min
- Stable operation at 20% power (load change rate 72 MW / min)
- Ability to work at 2% power
- Medium repair at 30,000 operating hours / 12,000 starts
- Overhaul at 60,000 operating hours / 24,000 starts
Benefits and features
- Fast start-up and operation. The units can reach full power in less than 2 minutes and boast excellent short cycle power.
- Fuel variability. Ability to operate on different types of gaseous fuels: natural gas, biomethane, hydrogen.
- High efficiency at partial load.
- All-season container design.
- The modular design provides a wide range of scalability.
- Efficiency and reliability. These plants are flexible, highly reliable, efficient and low in emissions.
- Simple operation / maintenance. Stable and reliable installations guarantee proven performance, long service intervals and a design that allows easy maintenance
World experience, a wide range of models and high technical characteristics of Jenbacher gas piston engines allow KTS Engineering specialists to promptly offer a solution, supply and install equipment, and launch shunting facilities in accordance with the customer's technical requirements.
KTS Engineering - innovative solutions for balancing the power system.