Disposal of municipal sewage sludge
Waste from urban municipal services, including sewage sludge (MSS) in large cities and towns, causes a lot of problems in connection with their disposal. Wastewater treatment requires significant capital expenditure for the construction and operation of treatment plants, since the latter must meet the high environmental requirements for the return of clean water. As energy costs increase and renewable energy sources are increased, local authorities and public utilities are looking for solutions that will save money and meet the requirements of renewable energy sources. GE Jenbacher gas engines ensure the efficient use of renewable energy sources through generation / cogeneration (combined generation of thermal and electric energy (CHP)), which saves resources and money in the long term.
Benefits of cogeneration on biogas from wastewater
- Generating renewable energy from wastewater
- Production of fertilizers by fermentation of sludge deposits
- Reduction of harmful emissions by aerobic fermentation and wastewater treatment
- Economical production of electricity and heat at the site of the wastewater treatment plant
- Loans and/or special tariffs for renewable energy sources "Green" tariff
The process of recycling includes energy-intensive processes, such as aeration and pumping. As a result of the installation of the station for wastewater treatment there is a significant energy consumption. Due to the growth of energy prices, operation of the station for wastewater treatment is faced with constantly increasing operating costs. Special bacteria, through anaerobic digestion process sewage sludge (sewage waste) and produce thereby the biological gas. This gas can be burned in Jenbacher generator and produce at the plant site the sewage treatment electricity and heat that will significantly reduce operating costs and energy.
Steps of conversion of sewage sludge to renewable energy
The process of biogas generation is divided into stages:
1. Preparation of the input material including removal of physical contaminants.
2. Fermentation, consisting of the processes of hydrolysis, acidogenesis, acetogenesis and methanogenesis.
3. The conversion of biogas to renewable electricity and useful heat through cogeneration.
4. Processing of fermented substances in organic fertilizer ready for submission to the soil.
Sewage is collected in municipal sewer systems and sent to treatment facilities. Further it is prepared and sent to sewage treatment plants. A number of biological processes are used in the digesters for fermentation and production of biogas. Hydrolysis is a process in which organic material dissolves in the digestive fluid. Then it undergoes intermediate stages of acidogenesis and acetogenesis, which create precursor molecules for methanogenesis. Methanogens produce methane as a product. Biogas containing this biologically produced methane is contained in a gas storage tank - a gas storage facility. The gas storage system compensates for fluctuations in the production of biogas, as well as in its composition and pressure.
Advantages of Jenbacher Cogeneration based on Sewage Gas
- High electrical efficiency makes it possible to increase the amount of generated electricity per unit of waste biogas used. Electrical efficiency up to 43% and thermal efficiency up to 45%.
- The LEANOX gas mixture control unit with the turbocharger bypass provides an optimal gas-to-air mixture ratio under operating conditions, thereby stabilizing the engine operation on the lean mixture and reducing the level of harmful emissions of exhaust gases to the atmosphere.
- A long maintenance schedule minimizes maintenance costs with an interval of work to overhaul of 60,000 hours.
KTS Engineering will prepare a technically sound solution for your project on sewage gas, professionally mount and service GE Jenbacher gas generators. GE Jenbacher gas engines are known in the market for having the highest level of electrical efficiency, and in combination with professional service together with the KTS Engineering company inspire confidence to our customers in the stable return from their biogas plant.
Please contact KTS Engineering specialists and discuss your requirements.